Sunday, 3 January 2010

3 Jan 2010 - The Construction of Igford!

The new year has started, and as i'm not really feeling up to any heavy-duty brainwork, I thought i'd make a start on modelling some of the assets for the game. I satarted with what I thought would be a simple one, but turned out to be a little more complex than I thought: A viaduct.

I decided to make this a modular asset, so that I can build multiple viaducts of varying lengths. Making the model itself in Maya was not that difficult but I made the mistake of UV mapping the most complex part of the arch first, which involved a lot of restructuring the UV for the on/off ramp sections (that have no arches). So, the drive to avoid brainwork ended up in a different kind of brainwork.

Still, it was a good way to get back into modelling and UV mapping - better to get accustomed to it now than much later on when i'm pressed for time and probably panicking!